Living in Seattle, we of course are Mariner’s fans! We love MLB games because they are a fun and low-key way to spend a Sunday in the warm summer sun… plus with busy schedules there are plenty of games to choose from.
Our daughter was born in February, so we decided to take her to her first game in July once the rain had started to become a little more infrequent and the weather warmed up. Safeco Field where the Seattle Mariners play is beautiful, and to my surprise, they had more family-friendly activities than I had expected! I don’t know why I had guessed there weren’t family things to do there… maybe because in my previous life (AKA my twenties 🙂 ) I had always watched the game from Edgar’s or the beer garden 😉
Here are a few things to know if you are visiting Safeco field for the first time with your family!
- Bring a baby carrier – large strollers are not allowed. If you brought a stroller, you can check it at the customer service counter and pick it up at the end of the game.
- Ask for your baby’s certificate for attending their first game! You can get one of these filled out for you at the customer service counter where you checked the stroller.
- Bring sunscreen! A hat for little bald baby heads is important too. Most seats are not fully covered.
- There is a nursing/changing room in section 128. If you need to breastfeed or change a diaper in a more civilized place, this is the place to do it. Do note – this room is microscopic, so you likely be jammed in there with about 20 other moms nursing elbow to elbow. It’s all good though, the more moms the merrier 🙂
- You can meet the Mariner Moose! Listen for announcements on what times the moose will be in the “Moose Den” then head there that inning. The line will be long, so I would suggest grabbing some Fro-Yo for while you wait!
- Snacks for kids are allowed. Just like the airport, items such as water bottles, formula, and baby food are allowed. So is your baby bag. Just be sure to let them take a look in it at security out front and you are good to go!
If you feel like general game tickets are too expensive, consider getting bleacher seats! A normal game can run a minimum of about $60 per person for good seats. However, you can get tickets in the bleachers for as little as $11! Yes – the bleachers are in the full on elements without any cover. However, there are plenty of places you can walk around the stadium if you need a break from the sun or the cold. Plus, if heavy rain is in the forecast, they will close the roof, and then you will be just as good as everyone else under cover! Bleacher seats are a perfect option for large families and groups.
I hope this advice is helpful, and Goooooooo Mariners!
For more info, check out this A to Z Guide of Safeco Field