Thug Kitchen is BACK Y’ALL!
I don’t know why I said y’all… I am from New York, I never say y’all, haha.
Well anyways, it’s time for a long overdue “Meatless Monday” recipe share! We have been doing a great job as occasional vegetarians, skipping meat a few days a week in attempts to eat healthier, keep my husband’s cholesterol in check, and help me lose weight. The good news is that I am down about 11 (embarrassing) pounds since my original post, “Dear Abbey, Quit Being So Fat“.
One thing that is greatly helping us stay on the healthy food wagon is finding recipes that are DELICIOUS first while being vegetarian/vegan. The “Thug Kitchen” cookbook is a Vegan cookbook that has totally won every recipe we have tried so far, and this recipe was by-far the best! My husband loved it so much that he decided we will have to have his Mexican mother over for dinner to make it for her, because it is so flavorful she won’t believe it isn’t made with meat.
If you aren’t familiar with the Thug Kitchen cookbooks, be sure to click this link and check them out (not for children or the bashful, these guys swear a lot, haha!)> Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
- ½ yellow or white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce* plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans (two cans)
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Spanish Rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Grilled Peach Salsa (see below)
- Sliced avocado
Grilled Peach Salsa
- 6 peaches (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil*
- 1 to 2 serrano peppers, minced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, chopped (about 2⁄3 cup)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1⁄4 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Handful of cilantro
- First, make the BBQ beans: Throw the onion, tomato paste, garlic, chipotle peppers and sauce, broth, OJ, brown sugar, molasses, and soy sauce in a food processor or blender and run until a smooth sauce forms. Pour that into a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, fold in the beans, and simmer until everything is warm and the beans absorb all that flavor, 5 to 10 minutes.
- To make the burritos: Grab your tortilla and pile in a scoop of the beans, some rice, and a handful of lettuce and top with the peach salsa and some avocado.
Directions (Peach Salsa)
- Cut the peaches into wedges no thicker than an inch. You should get around 12 wedges out of each peach. Throw the cut-up peaches in a large bowl with the oil and mix them all together.
- Bring your grill to a medium-high heat. Place the peaches on there for 45 seconds or so on each side. You don’t need to cook them; you just want some char marks on there. Grilling the peaches also caramelizes their natural sugars, making them sweeter.
- When the all peaches are grilled, let them cool for a couple minutes while you chop everything else up. When the peaches have cooled enough to handle, chop them up into salsa-appropriate-size pieces and then mix everything together. Let this all chill together for at least 30 minutes and then serve.
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Amazon Affiliates program… I am not sponsored by any of these products, I just really like them! I do however get a little kick-back if you purchase anything through the links provided. Prices are no different than if you were just shopping on your own 🙂