My husband just had gall bladder surgery and is on a low-fat diet while recovering. Sorry baby, but you are about to eat SO MANY VEGETABLES.
I need to get my “Meatless Monday” posts up and running again, but one tough thing I have been butting up against is that I have just been too hot and tired to throw together a meal when I get home from work lately. My husband (love him) as he is recovering from surgery and has been absolutely no help, so I need quick and easy recipes for sure.
So, this past week I set out write a solid meal plan I knew I could stick to, despite my busy schedule. Due to his diet restrictions I wanted to eat mainly vegetarian, and remembered this fun cookbook my dad gave me as a present.
The recipe book title is “Thug Kitchen: Eat Like you Give a F*CK”. This cookbook is not for the bashful… about every other sentence has cuss words in it. I find it hilarious and modern, but just wanted to give you a fair warning in case you are not familiar.
One very impressive and different thing about this book is that it is entirely vegetarian. Their concept is that anyone can cook a nice delicious juicy piece of meat, but what about some equally delicious but exponentially healthier vegetarian recipes?
This recipe was very quick and easy to make, and the flavors are great! I have quite a few bookmarked for meals later in the week too. Basically all you are doing is throwing your beans in a pot, whipping up a quick sauce, then assembling your sandwich.
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup of your favorite chipotle hot sauce (I used peppers in adobo)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (I didn’t have these and just left the item out and the flavors were still fine)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
Creamy Black Beans:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3⁄4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 4 crusty rolls, split and toasted
- Lettuce (PS – YES this is the lettuce we planted back in THIS POST!)
- Sliced tomatoes, red onion and avocado (I added some cilantro and thought it was a nice touch)
If you want to grab a copy of “Thug Kitchen” for yourself, check out this link here (affiliate)! Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
- FOR THE MAYO – Throw all the mayo ingredients in a food processor or blender until well mixed. Place in the refrigerator to thicken and chill.
- FOR THE BEANS – Heat the oil on medium, then toss in the onion and saute until it starts to sweat and turn golden (5 mins). Add garlic/spices, then toss in beans and broth. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Mash your beans then season with lime, salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe cred goes 200% Thug Kitchen!
Follow them on insta @thugkitchen and check out some of their other fun cookbooks here!
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Amazon Affiliates program… I am not sponsored by any of these products, I just really like them! I do however get a little kick-back if you purchase anything through the links provided. Prices are no different than if you were just shopping on your own 🙂