Coconut Curry Chickpeas over Jasmine Rice – Another easy “Meatless Mondays” recipe for you!
The coconut milk in this recipe makes this a very creamy dish – I love it! I personally was in the mood for something spicy, but since we were sharing with our two year old who does not like hot foods, I omitted spice and just smothered my plate in Siracha. If you are a spice lover I would load this up with some cayenne pepper and chill flakes and I think it would turn out just perfect!!
- 1 Cup Uncooked Jasmine Rice
- 1 Can Chickpeas/Grabanzo beans
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Jar Thai Green Curry Paste (see picture below)
- 2 Shallots, sliced (can sub in 1 onion if you don’t have shallots)
- 1t Ginger paste or fresh crushed ginger)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1T Olive Oil
- 1t Garlic Powder (add more to taste if desired)
- 1/2t Salt
- 1/2t Pepper
- In a small pot, boil 2 cups water and start your rice. Follow the directions to cook the rice on the rice package. I feel like this is something I don’t need to explain, but the internet sometimes make me question if I do 🙂
- On a separate burner in a large skillet, warm your olive oil, then toss in your shallots. Cook about 3 minutes until they are starting to release flavor.
- Add your garlic. Stir, and cook about 2 more minutes.
- Add your coconut milk, curry paste, and ginger paste to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Lower heat. Strain your can of beans, and toss into the coconut sauce.
- Season to taste with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Serve your peas and sauce in a bowl over rice. Enjoy!
Side note – if you wanted to add a little more dimension to this vegetarian meal, I think some sauteed bites of sweet potato would go well with the chickpeas. It of course does not have to be a meatless meal – you can simply serve this over a cooked chicken breast with rice, if you prefer some animal protein in your diet!